Battleboard
Battleboard
Home | Heavy Metal Lounge | Active Topics | Personal Messages | Active Polls | Search | FAQ
You are logged on as
Logout
 All Forums
 Heavy Metal
 Heavy Metal
 Newest Discoveries
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 8
Bear
Cred: 3
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year1 Year
Post Cred: 6
Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:45:49  Show Profile  Send poster a Personal Message  Reply with Quote
Since there was random discussion of it in a feedback forum, I figured I'll just go and do it, please make sticky.

So what have you discovered recently that is getting your rocks off? Its that simple, you can post whatever you've discovered recently in here, whether its from 2009 or 1846 it doesn't matter. What gem has been sitting there waiting to grace your ears, rock your cock, and make you fist fuck the air? Or maybe its melt in to your couch too(try Sigh on mushrooms). New albums preferably go in the New Albums (Brief Opinions of 2008 Releases thread), but they are still new to you so they fit in here too if you so desperately desire.

So what is it fuckers?!?

Cannelle's edit: now sticky
Enjoy!
Bear
I Supported Snakenet
09/06/2008
12:49:12
Post Cred: 1
One of the better discoveries I came across lately is a defunct black/doom band from Russia called Black Forest. They have a demo readily available on many file sharing services and you can probably search it out. "Sadness" is one of the best slabs of atmospheric woodsy black/doom I've come across in a while. Definitely for fans of Agalloch, Kathaarsys, mid-era Primordial. Its a real shame that this band was only around for such a short time because that demo is greatness.

If you are interested in hearing this demo and can't find it let me know because we can figure out a way for me to send it to you.
Go to Top of Page
RexRocker
Super Mod
Cred: 13
I Support Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year
09/06/2008
13:07:25
Post Cred: 0
Talking about Russia: the finish doom band KYPCK sining in russian is on heavy rotation. Big Balls Doom! Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
DJ-RJ
Cred: 7
I Supported Snakenet
09/06/2008
14:07:14
Post Cred: 4
Recently theres been 3 albums really hitting me. Been listening to and being exposed to these at work.

White Stripes - Icky Thump
Guy at work was playing this. Now I admit I did like the title track beforehand, but never thought after hearing the rest of the album that I could ever get into this musical style. I mean theres no complexity in the songwriting. Its very basic, simple, the worst recording from a mastering standpoint that I've ever heard for a major release. The kickdrum sounds like NOTHING was processed afterwards from recorded from a mic. This is the most raw recording sound I've ever heard for an artist. Very interesting approach. All I can say is, Jack White knows how to sing. He's very melodic, same on guitar. Theres heavier songs on the album and ballads. He's all over the board. But I like most all the songs on it. This guy is a true songwriter. I actually woke up this morning totally in the mood to listen to the album.

Black Sabbath - Sabbotage
I was.............exposed to this gem recently. I haven't listened to all the BS albums, just the basics. So been spinnin this at work and it grabbed me, hook line and sinker. This has catapalted into my favorite Black Sabbath album. A really different album, their songs are long and have 2-3 parts per song. Its like they have really long intros or mixed 2-3 songs together to form 1 song. Very different for them IMO. This album is heavy, its rocking, feels good. Yesterday (at my favorite time of my entire week) I'm driving home from work on friday, my weekend was just starting, leaving the parking lot of work , turn on the jokal radio station and low and behold, they are playing 'HOLE IN THE SKY'!! I can't tell you how much I was rocking at that moment. Awesome Black Sabbath album. Can't believe it took me so long to discover this, maybe I wouldn't have been ready for it any earlier.

Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Ok, so this isn't a new discovery, but in a way.... What can I say, a true classic in metal history. I been lsitening to these albums (MF and KD) since '87. I've heard them so many times and for so many years. But, what I find is you get used to albums and bored of them eventually, and you keep them on a shelf and remember them but stop listenign to them (over years) and you constantly are listenign to and being exposed to new music. Listening to this again at work (cause I was exposing this ancient metal to a newbie in the metal field ((yay me!!)) ) and I rediscovered how brilliant this album and band was. Its nearly like being exposed to them all over again for the first time. Fantastic album, likely ahead of its time, you can really hear the progressiveness of it for its time. Just fantastic songwriters, I'm in awe. This album is and always will be one of my all time favorites. A masterpiece. Anyone who doesn't appreciate this album should die.

Edited by - DJ-RJ on 09/07/2008 13:05:57
Go to Top of Page
maidenrules
Cred: 0
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year
09/07/2008
02:46:24
Overdrive -------- Let The Metal Do The Talking(ty pashka) really cool ac/dc overdriven guitar tone. mixed with classic heavy metal. right up my alley. really cool hard rock/metal.

legen beltza-------insanity(ty pashka)excellent thrash band from spain..you can read more in pashas band thread.

imagika------------feast for the hated-like iced earth II but more thrashy. it doesnt get quite better than this. great album. great sound. this will make my top 20.

steel attack-------carpe diend-classic pm, somewhat proggy, very atmospheric. definatley cool.
Go to Top of Page
tantrum
Who Stole My Beer?
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year
09/07/2008
05:11:02
I saw Dying Fetus at Hellfest in France in June. I had heard the name before of course, but never the music. They were fantastic live and I'm enjoying each of the three CDs I've gone out and bought since.
Go to Top of Page
DeadDrunkDane
Cred: 21
I Support Snakenet
1 Year1 Year1 Year
09/07/2008
05:37:26
I've just rediscovered Satyricon. I was a full blown oldschool BM fanatic when they made Megiddo - the first of their new style electro metal albums. I wanted them dead for that album... Luckily my brain started working again, eventually, but I still only listened to the old Satyricon and Wongraven shit, like The Shadowthrone.

Then someone brought K.I.N.G on a homemade cd to the latest SNMR wedding, and I've been playing the three newest Satyricon-records on repeat ever since Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
stinkfoot
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year
09/07/2008
08:33:47
Post Cred: 2
Hmm, these days it's mostly new bands that I discover when it comes to metal, but one fairly recent find that comes to mind is 'Winter'.
Absolutely killer - but seemingly cult as fuck, i.e. unknown - death/doom from the late 80s/early 90s. Indeed, while apparently forgotten by many, this was one of the first bands spearheading the then new crushingly slow, trudging approach to doom metal, as opposed to the 'Black Sabbath'-like approach that was rooted in blues/rock. "Into Darkness"; their only full-length, was surely a big influence on both death/doom and funeral doom. Bands like 'Cathedral' and 'Disembowelment' may have made a more lasting name for themselves, but 'Winter' were probably equally important in the development of extreme doom metal, playing 'Hellhammer'/'Celtic Frost' inspired riffs with the handbrake on.
Slow, dark and cold, this band is an essential listen for fans of extreme doom and for all that it doesn't have the greatest production values, their one album is a true hidden diamond. A band that broke up way too soon and could have gone on to record some superb music.

Should be added to the playlist at some point. I uploaded it some weeks ago.
Go to Top of Page
Wintersun
Cred: 34
I Support Snakenet
1 Year1 Year
09/07/2008
11:03:49
Post Cred: 3
Iced Earth - Horror Show

I bought this album 3-4 years ago, gave it one listen, and then it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. First now I've been listening to it again, and I have to say, that my view on it certainly have changed. This is really a great album, some great songs, none of them will ever reach Ten Thousand Strong though, but still very enjoyable.
Go to Top of Page
DJ-RJ
I Supported Snakenet
09/07/2008
13:00:14
quote:
Originally posted by Wintersun

Iced Earth - Horror Show

I bought this album 3-4 years ago, gave it one listen, and then it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. First now I've been listening to it again, and I have to say, that my view on it certainly have changed. This is really a great album, some great songs, none of them will ever reach Ten Thousand Strong though, but still very enjoyable.

Very cool. I think its a agressive album. For me it has some intensity in it. I think its a great listen.
Go to Top of Page
Sortiment
Cred: 32
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year
09/07/2008
13:53:52
It has become one of my favourite Iced Earth albums as well, it has so many killer tracks and you just can't help banging your head to it Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
DJ-RJ
I Supported Snakenet
09/07/2008
15:00:53
BTW, great thread topic, Bear.
Go to Top of Page
maidenrules
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year
09/07/2008
16:29:38
quote:
Originally posted by DJ-RJ

BTW, great thread topic, Bear.

ditto
Go to Top of Page
Brack
Super Mod
Cred: 52
Snakenet Support Staff
I Support Snakenet
09/08/2008
03:30:14
quote:
Originally posted by DeadDrunkDane

Then someone brought K.I.N.G on a homemade cd to the latest SNMR wedding, and I've been playing the three newest Satyricon-records on repeat ever since Sign of the devil dude!

Yeah, when we finally got a hold of the boombox I went to fetch my CDs from the car. I remember the headbanging in the small party room Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
so_says_the_phoenix
Cred: 5
SnakeNet Hierophant
I Support Snakenet
1 Year1 Year
09/08/2008
05:30:37
Lately, I've come to really appreciate Windir. I've never actually sat down and really listened, but now I like what I hear VERY much.

Same with Carpathian Forest. Boy have I been missing out!

Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
Sortiment
Cred: 32
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year
09/08/2008
05:44:24
For some reason Psychotic Waltz has eluded me until recently, what I have heard so far has been very good.
Go to Top of Page
DeadDrunkDane
Cred: 21
I Support Snakenet
1 Year1 Year1 Year
09/08/2008
08:40:16
quote:
Originally posted by so_says_the_phoenix

Lately, I've come to really appreciate Windir. I've never actually sat down and really listened, but now I like what I hear VERY much.

Same with Carpathian Forest. Boy have I been missing out!

Sign of the devil dude!

Welcome to the dark side Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
Bear
I Supported Snakenet
09/08/2008
20:26:34
Astarte (Grc) - Really thrashy all female black metal. Solid aggressive shit, check out 2007's "Demonized." Of course, the hot chick factor plays into it, but its good fuckin' tunes.
Go to Top of Page
Pashka
Perv Commander
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year
09/09/2008
11:18:33
Imagika. I now have all 6 of their albums and all of them are between Iced Earth and Testament. Wish I would accross this band before as I just can't stop listening to this band.
Go to Top of Page
SlaytanicMan213
I Supported Snakenet
09/10/2008
02:48:39
Some new shiny gems of mine:

Mael Mordha - I started with 'Gealtacht Mael Mordha' and bought the older 'Cluain Tarb' as soon as I could. Authentic, doomy, heartfelt Irish metal in the vein of Primordial and Mourning Beloveth. Like most of Primordial, while listening to Mael Mordha I can FEEL the pain, wrath, and hope of the ancient Gaels.

Finsterforst - Festive and fun. A lot like Finntroll at first listen (think folky and spirited), but I also hear similarities to Windir (e.g. more sophisticated, self-reflection inducing passages of incredible melody)

Cavalera Conspiracy - The Cavalera bros reunite to create some very energetic, at times rather melodic thrash. Quite good, it reminds me of old Sep at times, but the musical variation, interesting drumming, and sweet solo guitar tone make it something of its own. Eh, the lyrics, though, seem rather stale.
Go to Top of Page
Wintersun
Cred: 34
I Support Snakenet
1 Year1 Year
09/10/2008
06:39:15
Upon Infliction - To Escape Is To Suffer:

Death metal the fucking br00tal way Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
JewelThrone
Cred: 23
I Support Snakenet
09/10/2008
12:36:32
Decrepitaph -

This band hails from Texas. They sent me a request on My Space a couple of months ago. If you like early death metal, this band is a must listen. Their slogan is, "It's 1991 all over again," and that is certainly the order of the day. Their cover of Asphyx's, "Wasteland Of Terror" is fucking excellent as is their original material. They recently signed with Razorback Records and will be issuing their album soon.
Go to Top of Page
JewelThrone
I Support Snakenet
09/10/2008
13:58:56
quote:
Originally posted by Bear

Astarte (Grc) - Really thrashy all female black metal. Solid aggressive shit, check out 2007's "Demonized." Of course, the hot chick factor plays into it, but its good fuckin' tunes.

You should check out their earlier stuff. It's very excellent. I've been a fan of theirs since I stumbled on their debut album when it came out.
Go to Top of Page
JewelThrone
I Support Snakenet
09/10/2008
14:03:02
quote:
Originally posted by Pashka

Imagika. I now have all 6 of their albums and all of them are between Iced Earth and Testament. Wish I would accross this band before as I just can't stop listening to this band.

And So It Burns Review
Go to Top of Page
so_says_the_phoenix
Cred: 5
SnakeNet Hierophant
I Support Snakenet
1 Year1 Year
09/10/2008
14:18:21
quote:
Originally posted by JewelThrone

Decrepitaph -

This band hails from Texas. They sent me a request on My Space a couple of months ago. If you like early death metal, this band is a must listen. Their slogan is, "It's 1991 all over again," and that is certainly the order of the day. Their cover of Asphyx's, "Wasteland Of Terror" is fucking excellent as is their original material. They recently signed with Razorback Records and will be issuing their album soon.

I've heard there work! Indeed, very very nice! Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
Pashka
Perv Commander
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year
09/10/2008
16:59:55
quote:
Originally posted by JewelThrone

And So It Burns Review

Thanks JT Sign of the devil dude!

In your review you say that you need to check out their other albums. Have you done so?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8
Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Battleboard © 2000-04 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 6.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Accessibility - Sponsored by Clearstone Spa - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - Code by Fuckingbrit.com

;