Battleboard
Battleboard
Home | Heavy Metal Lounge | Active Topics | Personal Messages | Active Polls | Search | FAQ
You are logged on as
Logout
 All Forums
 Heavy Metal
 Heavy Metal
 Why don't I listen to this more often?!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2
Red
Cred: 21
I Support Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year1 Year
Post Cred: 5
Posted - 05/19/2010 :  20:47:33  Show Profile  Send poster a Personal Message  Reply with Quote
All right folks, let's hear it. What albums do you have in your collection that you don't listen to very often, but when you do, you always think to yourself, why the fuck do I listen to this so rarely?!

With so many albums in my collection, and I'm sure many of you are the same, it's hard to listen to a lot of them very often, but a few times a year I'll pull out a certain album and kinda scold myself for only listening to it once in a while.

For me the top two that stick out to me in that respect are:
Sentenced - North From Here
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina

I got North From Here on right now, fucking slays. Nemesis Divina I have owned for significantly shorter than NFH, but whenever I do listen, I feel like I should listen more often so that I can become more familiar with it. Killer!
I have dysentery
Cred: 0
I Support Snakenet
1 Year1 Year1 Year1 Year
05/19/2010
21:30:13
Post Cred: 0
Ahhhh yes, I remember those days when Sentenced didn't suck.
Great album.

Recently, I have been reliving my Acid Bath phase.

Edited by - I have dysentery on 05/19/2010 21:31:18
Go to Top of Page
Pashka
Cred: 7
Perv Commander
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year
05/19/2010
22:05:13
Any 5 of the first Metallica albums. Never have been able to listen to the CD's on PC, car stereo, or even mp3 player. But I always enjoy the hell out of it when some else plays it or when it comes on the radio.
Go to Top of Page
fenderbender823
Cred: 4
I Support Snakenet
5 Years1 Year
05/19/2010
22:32:54
Post Cred: 1
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

Also a few non-metal albums come to mind.
Go to Top of Page
DJ-RJ
I Supported Snakenet
05/19/2010
23:28:23
Fuck. Thats probably most of my collection. I have cd's I haven't listened to in prolly 15 years. THOSE I should start listning to more often.
Go to Top of Page
Thor Bear
Cred: 18
I Supported Snakenet
05/20/2010
00:39:51
quote:
Originally posted by Pashka

Any 5 of the first Metallica albums. Never have been able to listen to the CD's on PC, car stereo, or even mp3 player. But I always enjoy the hell out of it when some else plays it or when it comes on the radio.

It's more or less the same with me. When I start listening to one of them I always think "Why don't I listen to this killer music more than I do?!" After 5-6 songs I normally lose interest again however.
Go to Top of Page
DeadDrunkDane
I Support Snakenet
1 Year1 Year1 Year
05/20/2010
02:47:00
There were this two-man black metal outfit called Isvind (Ice Wind). I bought one of their albums (if they ever made more than one). I give it a spin every two years or so, and it kicks ass, but I always forget it again...

Other than that, I've got a lot of promos and demos collecting dust, then sporadically rising to glory...
Go to Top of Page
Red
I Support Snakenet
05/20/2010
05:50:30
quote:
Originally posted by Thor Bear

quote:

It's more or less the same with me. When I start listening to one of them I always think "Why don't I listen to this killer music more than I do?!" After 5-6 songs I normally lose interest again however.

That's the thing with early Metallica, I listened to it so much in high school, that anytime I listen now, I know every note. I don't put one of their CDs in and be wowed anymore, cause I know it's good.

@Jill, I only have When the Kite String Pops. And every couple months for the last year or so, I listen the shit out of that. Fucking great stuff.

@fender, Youthanasia was my first Megadeth album. I love it so much. I agree 100%

@RJ, shit man, name some. Even if it aint all encompassing, name something you've listened to in the last couple weeks that jumped up and bit you!

@Dane, I should check Isvind out.
Go to Top of Page
SawBone
Cred: 1
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year1 Year1 Year
05/20/2010
06:54:11
Abigor's Nachthymnen always gives me that reaction. It's a great album.
Go to Top of Page
Brack
Super Mod
Cred: 52
Snakenet Support Staff
I Support Snakenet
05/20/2010
07:11:56
quote:

quote:

I can third that (to a degree). I'd probably only include the first four to begin with. I almost never spin them, even if for example AJFA is still among my favourite albums of all times. I guess this has to do with the fact that I own those albums for about twenty years now and they got lots of spins when my collection was rather small. The more recent stuff has to catch up first.
Go to Top of Page
Lord Slayer of Light
Cred: 27

1 Year
05/20/2010
07:13:23
quote:

quote:

Yeah Metallica is supposedly one of the "big" bands I am ignoring the most ... Then I am like this huge Amon Amarth addicted but appart from the great songs I never listened to anything of their older stuff - I am working on that as I write - and Hypocrisy is also wastly unspun allthough I like as good as everything they did I just never made through the entire footage - And I have lost interest in Cannibal Corpse - there were days I listened to one or two CC records a day - nowadays I often don't manage to get a Hammer Smashed Face done Sad
Go to Top of Page
Brack
Super Mod
Snakenet Support Staff
I Support Snakenet
05/20/2010
08:12:55
quote:
Originally posted by Red
That's the thing with early Metallica, I listened to it so much in high school, that anytime I listen now, I know every note. I don't put one of their CDs in and be wowed anymore, cause I know it's good.

Ha, you beat me to it while I was typing my response Wink

Summed up very well.
Go to Top of Page
psychoblast
I Supported Snakenet
05/20/2010
10:15:37
I sometimes have that when I buy quiet a lot at once and then forget to dig it up again until a longtime after Smile
Like o hell yeah I also bought that one Grin
Go to Top of Page
Sortiment
Cred: 32
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year
05/20/2010
10:26:39
I have a very short answer to your question. "All the stuff I have on vinyl" a lot access to a turn table some time ago and have not had the "time" to buy another one. Furthermore, my vinyl collection is not digitalised yet, so I can not listen to it when I walk around outside the house either. It is really a shame since it contains a lot of the stuff that is really a part of my musical upbringing, both metal and not. Lots of vintage thrash and classic heavy metal that I really miss, not to mention tons of really excellent progressive rock.
Go to Top of Page
Wintersun
Cred: 34
I Support Snakenet
1 Year1 Year
05/20/2010
10:27:18
All 80s Iron Maiden albums.
Go to Top of Page
Sortiment
Cred: 32
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year
05/20/2010
10:29:26
Post Cred: 2
quote:
Originally posted by fenderbender823

Megadeth - Youthanasia

That is actually one of the old albums I still play on a regular basis. It is sooooo fucking good Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
Lord Slayer of Light

1 Year
05/20/2010
10:32:16
And it's the only Megadeth album I ever listened to entirely in one go Smile
Go to Top of Page
psychoblast
I Supported Snakenet
05/20/2010
11:14:19
quote:
Originally posted by Wintersun

All 80s Iron Maiden albums.

I just started putting them on the player again Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
Lord Slayer of Light

1 Year
05/20/2010
12:10:34
I almost started listening to them again but I know enough of it of by heart to join the chorus at wacken and that should do the trick ...
Go to Top of Page
bloodletting
Cred: 5

1 Year1 Year
05/20/2010
12:38:51
quote:
Originally posted by Sortiment

quote:
Originally posted by fenderbender823

Megadeth - Youthanasia

That is actually one of the old albums I still play on a regular basis. It is sooooo fucking good Sign of the devil dude!

Sign of the devil dude! Me also, And So far, So good... So what

But every time I listen to killing is my buisness and peace sells I do a little face palm and say "Shit how could these cds only get spun once in a while" Carpathian forest's morbid facination of death is another one, along with legion of the damned - Cult of the Dead
Go to Top of Page
DJ-RJ
I Supported Snakenet
05/20/2010
16:44:27
quote:
Originally posted by Red

@RJ, shit man, name some. Even if it aint all encompassing, name something you've listened to in the last couple weeks that jumped up and bit you!

LOL. Ok. Well, I recently in the last 6 months or so actually started listenign to def leppard 'On Through the Night'. THe funny thing is, I had bought this back in like '84 or so, and never liked it. So I stashed it and it collected dust. 6 months ago I pull it out and notice songs that I didn't like before, suddenly I liked now. And I discovered a couple others I also liked. So here I am feeling like a total dumbass, cause I neglected myself from some songs that turned out I Liked, for like 25 fucking years. Now thats dumb.

I used to be a huge Pantera fan but never listen to them anymore. Anytime now I hear them at work, its like "Oh yeah, this is rocking".

Early Maiden, early Anthrax, Nuclear Assault
Go to Top of Page
Red
I Support Snakenet
05/20/2010
17:51:29
quote:
Originally posted by DJ-RJ

I used to be a huge Pantera fan but never listen to them anymore. Anytime now I hear them at work, its like "Oh yeah, this is rocking"

I agree. A few days ago, maybe a week, I threw The Great Southern Trendkill on. I listen so rarely, and was totally digging it. Good stuff.
Go to Top of Page
Rev. El Duce Guns
Super Mod
Cred: 9
I Supported Snakenet
05/20/2010
23:44:53
Post Cred: 3
I think a significant number of us will probably fall into this category with . For those of us who listen to metal, hearing new shit is a key component. It's why so many of us lord over Best of... lists every year, why we're always looking for new suggestions. The exploration is almost as big a part of being a metalhead as any other component, yet often the most understated one. Bands such as the aforementioned aren't new. It doesn't make them not as good as we once thought, or stale or whatever way we would normally try to rationalize not listening to them as much any more. The lack of novelty usually trumps all of that.

Anyways, that's my theory. I'm in an interesting boat on this topic though because over the past month I've been burning my entire CD collection to hard drive, because I want to hawk all of my CDs. Now that my hard drive at the office is filled (where I listen to the most music), I've been going through a shit ton of stuff I haven't listened to in years (in some cases it's albums I spin a track or four of in the shower but have now sit down to listen to front to back). In some cases it's been the Thor Bear "5-6 or six songs of awesome before boredom sets in". In others it's "Now I know why I don't listen to this". And further still, there are the "Why haven't I been listening to this?" Full gamut. Often music appreciation is very strongly influenced by things such as setting and mood.

Anyways, to actually comment on specifics, I like the Acid Bath name drop, though I have always sporadically listened to Paegan Terrorism Tactics. Today, I spun Down's first album and realized I should have listened to it more. Lacuna Coil's shit falls in line here as well. Maybe tomorrow when I pop into the office, I'll compile a further list instead of trying to remember shit off the top of my head.
Go to Top of Page
ManFromArse
Cred: 9
Indigent Martian
I Supported Snakenet
5 Years1 Year1 Year
05/21/2010
08:45:56
Just re-listened to Destroyer 666 for the first time in ages. I'd forgotten how kewl they are.

Let's think... had a good Cirith Ungol blast a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't forgotten how kewl they were, but hadn't listened to them in a while. Therion I should probably listen to again at some point, been a while with them. And Madder Mortem, just glancing at the CDs I have with me...
Go to Top of Page
Little Whip
Cred: 6
High Priestess
I Support Snakenet
10 Years
05/21/2010
14:06:53
Acid Bath NEVER leaves my car (neither does anything else Dax has been involved in, really. even non metal stuff) so that obsession is still running strong after all these years.

There are several bands that straddle the alternative/hard rock line from the mid nineties that I come across and pop in once and awhile and love the hell out of.

As far as old school goes, all the staples come to mind of course. But, one band that has regained my attention pretty heavily recently is on the hair metal front ; Cinderella. LOL

Though I think the band that I most often wonder why the hell I don't pull out more often is Suicidal Tendencies.
Go to Top of Page
Brack
Super Mod
Snakenet Support Staff
I Support Snakenet
05/21/2010
17:56:50
By chance I caught Metallica's "One" on TV just now. A perfect example for this thread Sign of the devil dude!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Battleboard © 2000-04 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Accessibility - Sponsored by Clearstone Spa - Privacy Policy - Disclaimer - Code by Fuckingbrit.com

;